Inspired by the compelling visuals from the Accurat team, I’m toying around with a new information design to visually represent pitching statistics for a baseball team’s starting pitcher rotation. For those not familiar with baseball, each Major League Baseball team has a “rotation” of 5 starting pitchers that start baseball games. The first pitcher in […]
Inspired by the compelling visuals from the Accurat team, I’m toying around with a new ...
I just discovered CartoDB this week and got some time to try it out a ...
I recently finished a new short animated infographic explainer video about the benefits of walking. ...
I’m a fan of Bubble charts. They’re similar to scatter plots. They’re good for showing the correlation ...
I just discovered CartoDB this week and got some time to try it out a bit. It’s a nice online data visualization tool for mapping data. I also came across a great resource for data recently, Enigma.io, and in it, found a data set of volcanic eruptions from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Seemed like […]
I recently finished a new short animated infographic explainer video about the benefits of walking. People had suggested to me in the past that they’d like to see what goes on when creating one of these animated video explanations. So, while creating the video I captured most of the steps in the process and published […]
I’m a fan of Bubble charts. They’re similar to scatter plots. They’re good for showing the correlation of the variable on the x axis to the variable on the y axis. But they also offer the ability to represent additional variables by the size of the circles as well as colors of the circles. Bubble charts can […]
Last year, Cool Infographics published a great blog post from Kim Reese and Dino Citraro of the data viz firm Periscopic about infographics. Reese and Citraro pointed out that many of the visuals that are published on the web these days being called infographics, actually aren’t true infographics, but rather, are what they term ‘digital posters.’ […]
My main focus in visual thinking lately has been health-related, exploring several health risk correlations with scatter plots and bubble charts, creating a short 30 second public service announcement about heart disease risk factors and most recently a digital poster (an infographic in the parlance of most marketers today) showing the findings of a recent report […]
As a fan of both craft beer and visualization I thought it would be fun to visualize the array of different craft beers I’ve tried over the last year or so. I’ve been wanting to experiment with some of the different chart types available in Density Design’s RAW data visualization tool and thought a dendrogram […]
Visualizing Correlations with Connected & Animated Scatter & Bubble Plots Seems like I’ve gotten a bit obsessed with scatter plots and bubble plots lately over on Digital Splash Media. I’ve been looking at correlations of certain health risk factors like sugar consumption and physical activity levels and how those relate to obesity rates and heart […]
I’ve been doing some exploratory data visualization of sugar consumption correlations to obesity rates and body mass index (BMI) in the US, Canada, and several western European nations. In an article on Digital Splash Media, I posted some line charts showing sugar consumption and BMI for United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, […]
Over on Digital Splash Media I’ve recently shared some experimentation with two fairly new online data visualization tools; RAW, from Density Design and Plotly. I first explored the use of bubble charts to explore some health care visualization using RAW. While finishing up that exploration, I stumbled upon a fairly new tool, Plotly, which also […]
- Baseball Data Visualization Experiment May 18, 2014
- Visualizing Volcanic Eruptions with CartoDB May 14, 2014
- Behind the Scenes: The Making of an Animated Infographic Video May 12, 2014
- Bubble Chart Tutorial May 9, 2014
- Digital Poster or Infographic? May 3, 2014
- Grudge Match: Pie Chart vs. Bar Chart February 2, 2013
- Word Count as Bar Chart Visualization Mockups November 8, 2012
- Sketchnote Handbook Review December 29, 2012
- 2012 Year in Review Personal Visual Summary January 1, 2013
- Variations in US Unemployment Interactive Infographic Mock-up November 24, 2012
- Edward Tufte: “De fato, a história da visualização de dados é substancialmente a história da ciência” | Jornalismo de dados: [...] Via [...]...
- Harry van der Velde: First: This is incredible smart technology. What...
- Andrew Marritt: Thanks for the interesting post. Our workflow is t...
- John Cleese on Creativity – Video and Sketchnotes | VizThinker | Stan Stewart's Blog: [...] See on vizthinker.com [...]...
- Jeff Bennett: Good to hear. Thanks Stephen. Good to read your ar...